- Michael Russell
- United States
- Opening Day Age
- Roswell, GA
- Current Team
COLLEGE: North Carolina
HIGH SCHOOL: Hopewell High School, Huntersville, NC
DRAFT: 5th round (157 overall), 2014, Tampa Bay Rays
- Returns to the ROCKERS in 2022 after hitting a career year in 2021 (.360 AVG, 7 HR, 48 RBI)
- Has played every position except catcher and pitcher as a professional.
- Is 16 stolen bases away from 150 career steals.
- Third highest single-season batting average in ALPB history (.360) and the highest batting average in American unaffiliated leagues.
- Stole 21 bases for the second consecutive season (2019)
- Was hitting .351 when his jaw was broken on a throw while stealing third base on 7/28 at Gastonia…Missed 38 games while recovering from injury…Returned to hit .371 in 26 games to close out the season.
- Played five games with the Rockland Boulders of the All-American Baseball Challenge.
- Was 4-for-14 with a double, RBI and one stolen base.
- Signed with the ROCKERS 6/14/19, appearing in 75 games.
- Hit .287 with 21 stolen bases, four homers and 26 RBI.
- Led the ROCKERS with 21 stolen bases.
- Split season between AA Montgomery and AAA Durham (International).
- Combined to hit .249 with three home runs and nine stolen bases.
- Played 42 games with Durham with a .250 average … Appeared in 45 games with Montgomery, hitting .249
- Promoted to AA Montgomery (Southern) and posted a .246 average with six home runs, 43 RBI and 20 stolen bases.
- Spent the entire season at A Bowling Green, Ky. (Midwest) and hit .293 with eight home runs, 48 RBI and career-best 29 stolen bases.
- Scored a career-high 76 runs and collected 116 hits with 28 doubles and career-high five triples.
- Started his professional career at A- Hudson Valley (New York-Penn) and played 63 games while hitting .257 with two home runs, 20 RBI and 22 stolen bases.
2014 (North Carolina-Chapel Hill/Tampa Bay)
- Selected in fifth round of MLB Draft by Tampa Bay.
- Named second team All-ACC at second base … Named third team All-American by Rawlings, National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association and Collegiate Baseball.
- Hit .302 in 192 games during his collegiate career (217-for-718) with six home runs, 44 doubles and 95 RBI.
- Named the Tar Heels’ MVP by leading the club in average (.339), runs scored (43) and hits (78).
2013 (North Carolina-Chapel Hill)
- Named UNC’s Most Dedicated Player, hitting .298 with 10 doubles and 18 stolen bases.
- Helped Tar Heels to College World Series where they defeated LSU and NC State in going 2-2 … Member of the NCAA Chapel Hill Regional All-Tournament team.
- Spent the summer with the Chatham Anglers in the Cape Cod League.
2012 (North Carolina-Chapel Hill)
- Started all 62 games (32 OF, 10 3B, 20 SS) as a freshman and hit .269 with 60 hits, 40 runs, and 24 RBI with 14 stolen bases in 17 attempts.
- Began the year in the outfield before moving to shortstop at the end of the season.
2011 (Hopewell HS)
- Named the I-Meck Player of the Year and Lake Norman Player of the Year at Hopewell High, hitting .506 with 38 runs and 23 RBI.
- Helped the Titans to three consecutive MECA 7/I-MECK conference championships.
- A three-sport star for the Titans, he was all-conference in all three sports: football free safety, basketball point guard, baseball shortstop.
- Played for Huntersville American Legion Post 321 following his senior season of high school.
2010 (Hopewell HS)
- Named Hopewell High Homecoming King.
- Had 42 tackles, 5 interceptions and 3 defensive TDs in leading the Titans to an 8-5 record … Named All-Charlotte Observer and All-Lake Norman News in football.
- Averaged eight points and four assists per game in basketball.
- Missed his junior season of baseball with two broken bones in his leg suffered when he was hit by a base runner while making a throw.
- Michael Joseph Russell … His father, John, is a member of the New England High School Basketball Hall of Fame.