- Michael Martinez
- Dominican Republic
- Opening Day Age
- Santo Domingo
- Current Team
HIGH SCHOOL: San Lorenzo, Santo Dominto, DR
• Began his career in 2005 in the Washington Nationals organization as an amateur free agent.
• Has played 1,706 career games at the professional level with 1,422 hits, 573 RBI and 158 stolen bases. • Is a career .256 hitter in his 14 professional seasons.
• Has 295 career games played at the Major League level
• Acquired along with Huascar Brazoban from the Lancaster Barnstormers (Atlantic) in a trade on 3/4/21 • Joined the Rockers on 8/6/21 following COVID-19 visa issues
• Played in 51 games and hit .286 with four home runs and 30 RBI
• His .286 batting average was the highest in club history for a switch-hitter
• Had a 9-game hitting streak (8/12/21-8/21/21)
• Homered in back-to-back games against Lexington (8/18 & 8/19/21)
• Collected season-high four hits vs. Long Island (8/8/21)
• Drove in three runs at Gastonia (9/17/21)
• Spent the 2019-20 season with Estrellas de Oriente in San Pedro de Macoris (Dominican Winter League), hitting .238 in 19 games.
• Signed with the Lancaster Barnstormers on 3/11/19 . . . Played in 97 games and hit .252 with 9 home runs and 42 RBI … Posted an OPS of .663.
• Assigned to the AAA Columbus Clippers (Indians) on 4/6/18 … Elected free agency (11/2/18).
• Suffered torn left Achilles tendon during training exercises in late January, undergoing surgery in Cleveland on 1/31/18.
• Split season between Cleveland and Tampa Bay organizations, spending the first two and a half months of the season at the Major League level before ending the season in AAA Columbus … Appeared in six games at third base for Cleveland with three games at second and two games in center field (1G at SS) … Also made his Major League pitching debut with a scoreless inning on 4/13/17 vs. the Chicago White Sox … DFA on 5/14/17 and signed by Tampa Bay four days later … With Colum- bus, appeared at every position except first base, pitcher and catcher.
• Spent much of the season in a utility role with Cleveland along with stints in AAA Columbus and with the Boston Red Sox in July … Promoted to Cleveland on 5/14/16 when Michael Brantley returned to the injured list and Martinez spent the next six weeks on the Major League roster … Acquired by the Red Sox for cash on 7/8/16 and spent a month on the MLB roster before being DFA on 8/2/16 and claimed two days later by Cleveland … Spent the rest of the season on the MLB roster and was on all three Postseason rosters, appearing in seven of the 15 games.
• Spent most of the season in AAA Columbus, battng .289 with 24 doubles, five triples, five home runs, 42 RBI and 53 runs scored in 102 games . . . At the time of his 9/4/15 promotion to Cleveland, ranked 11th in the International League in battng average … Appeared in 66 games at second base, 19 games in CF, 13 games at SS, four games at 3B and three games in RF … Made seven starts with Cleveland (2 CF, 5 LF).
• Spent the season in the Pittsburgh organization, splittng time between the MLB club and the AAA Indianapolis Indians (International) … Had two stints with the MLB Pirates (6/13 and 7/6-8/17/14).
• Spent majority of the season with AAA Lehigh Valley but also had four separate stints with Philadelphia at the big league level.
• Started season on 15-day injury list with fractured right foot suffered in a spring training game … Hit .271 in 32 games at AAA Lehigh Valley and .174 in 45 games with MLB Phillies.
• Made his Major League debut with the Philadelphia Phillies on 4/3/11 and collected a hit and an RBI vs. Houston … Made 48 starts at five different positions during his first season in the Big Leagues.
• Was an Eastern League (Mid-Season) All-Star with the AA Harrisburg Senators.
• Selected by the Philadelphia Phillies in the 2010 Rule Five Draft … Made MLB debut as a starter in CF on 4/3/11 vs. Houston and collected his first hit and RBI off Enerio Del Rosario … Recorded career-high four hits on 7/10/11 vs. Atlanta to become the first Phillies rookie with a four-hit game since Michael Bourn in 2007 … Hit first big league homer off New York Mets’ Mike Pelfrey on 7/17/11 at Citi Field … Collected 15 RBI in July of 2011, the third-most among National League rookies that month behind Freddie freeman (18) and Jesus Guzman (18).
• Hit .293 in 49 games at A+ Potomac (Carolina) and .223 at AA Harrisburg (Eastern).
• Played 104 games at A+ Potomac (Carolina) and hit .266 with 25 doubles, 58 RBI and 63 runs scored and a career-high 20 sacrifice hits.
• Named the Dominican Winter League Rookie of the Year with Estrellas de Oriente
• Named a New York-Penn League Mid-Season All-Star with the Vermont Lake Monsters … Finished that season ranked fourth in the league in batting average.
• Signed as an amateur free agent by the Washington Nationals.
• Michael Gabriel Martinez Tiburcio
• Is a 2001 graduate of San Lorenzo High School in Santo Domingo … Attended San Lorenzo de Los Minas … Favorite player as a youth was Rey Ordoñez of the NY Mets.