- Jay Gonzalez
- United States
- Opening Day Age
- San Diego, CA
- Current Team
HIGH SCHOOL: Westgate HS, New Iberia, La.
DRAFT: 1st round (23 overall), 2009, Chicago White Sox
- Rare athlete who won NCAA Division I national championships in football and baseball at LSU.
- Was the MVP of the 2009 College World Series and helped LSU to the 2007 BCS National Championship in football.
- First round pick of the Chicago White Sox in 2009.
- 13th on the Atlantic League All-Time Stolen Bases list with 142 (needs 19 steals in 2022 to crack top 10)
- Hit .242 with 14 HR and 66 RBI, his best production numbers since 2017 with York…Added 27 stolen bases to lead the Rockers, including 17 consecutive successful attempts to begin the season.
- Hit 6 HR in 8 day span from 6/13 to 6/20, including multi-HR games on 6/13 at Charleston and 6/18 vs. Southern Maryland.
- Stole 4 bases against Lexington on 8/4
- Played 14 games in the Constellation Energy League with the Eastern Reyes del Tigre in Sugar Land, Texas.
- Started the season with Sugar Land (Atlantic) (.258/6/28, 22 SB, 63 GMS) and was released 7/16/19.
- Was the starting CF for Sugar Land when the Skeeters played the ROCKERS on Opening Night 5/2/19.
- Signed with ROCKERS 7/31/19 and played 47 games, hitting .232 (42-for-181) with six home runs, 21 RBI and 10 stolen bases.
- Named a Freedom Division All-Star while playing with Sugar Land.
- Named to the Atlantic League All-Star team with the York Revolution, hitting .275 with six home runs, 44 RBI and 33 stolen bases.
- Spent entire season with York (Atlantic) (.295/14/62).
- Helped York win the Atlantic League championship over the Long Island Ducks.
- Signed by New York Yankees 2/4/16 to a minor league contract.
- Hit .250, one home run and seven RBI in 20 games with AA Trenton (Eastern) before being released 5/18/16.
- Spent time with independents New Jersey (Canadian-American) (.190/0/4, 11 GMS) and York (Atlantic) (.285/8/39, 26 SB, 69 GMS).
- Started the season at Charlotte and played in 13 games (2-for-40) before being released 5/3/15.
- Signed as a free agent by Los Angeles Angels 5/15/15 to a minor league contract and reported to AA Arkansas (Texas).
- Hit .220 with three homers and 11 RBI in 58 games before being promoted to AAA Salt Lake (Pacific Coast) (.255/2/11, 59 GMS).
- Became a free agent 11/1/15.
- Played 39 games with AA Birmingham (.299/10/20) and 81 games with Charlotte (.230/9/30).
- Played 76 games at AA Birmingham and 14 contests at AAA Charlotte, combining to hit .167/5/23 in 90 games.
- Hit .304 in 20 games with Glendale in the Arizona Fall League with five homers and 11 RBI.
- Split time between AA Birmingham (Southern) and AAA Charlotte (International), combining to hit .237 with 11 home runs and 67 RBI.
- Hit .240 (5 HR, 62 RBI, 94 GMS) at Birmingham and .231 (1 HR, 16 RBI, 36 GMS) at Charlotte.
- Added to the White Sox 40-man roster 11/19/12.
- Spent the entire season at A+ Winston-Salem (Carolina) where he hit .222 with nine home runs and 578 RBI in 129 games.
- Invited to Chicago White Sox spring training as a non-roster invitee.
- Played 24 games for Peoria in the Arizona Fall League
2009 (LSU/Chicago White Sox)
- Selected in the first round of the MLB Draft by the Chicago White Sox, the 23rd overall pick.
- Began his professional career at A Kannapolis (South Atlantic) and hit .296 in 34 games.
- Named College World Series MVP after leading LSU to its sixth national championship in baseball.
- Played in 66 games and hit .327 with 11 home runs, 50 RBI and 64 runs scored … Stole 36 bases in 45 attempts.
- Finished second in LSU history with 69 stolen bases.
- Hit .348 (8-for-23) with a triple, two doubles, two homers and seven RBI in six games at the CWS … Crushed a two-out, three-run homer that put LSU in front in the first inning of the deciding Game 3 of the CWS Championship Series against Texas … With LSU trailing 3-1 in the sixth inning of Game 1 versus Texas, delivered a clutch two-out, two-run triple to tie the game, a contest the Tigers ultimately won.
- Voted to the 2009 NCAA Baton Rouge Regional All-Tournament team after hitting .455 (5-for-11) with one homer, two RBI and four runs.
- Played in all 12 football games for LSU, making nine receptions for 106 yards including two receptions in the Chick-fil-A Bowl vs. Georgia Tech.
- Hit .297 (52-for-175) with six homers, 29 RBI and 44 runs in 52 games with 42 starts.
- Made five starts in football, catching 13 passes for 143 yards on the year . . . Led the team with six receptions for 82 yards in his first career start vs. Middle Tennessee State . . . Helped the Tigers to a 12-2 record and a 38-24 win in the National Championship game over Ohio State.
- Played in eight football games as a true freshman with two receptions and a kickoff return.